View Single Post
Old 03-13-13, 12:33 PM
LucF

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Trek Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the good ideas. The main reason I want to use the Cervélo R3 is that it is already all set up for long distance riding (wheels, dynamo+lights, Brooks, Thudbuster, water system, seat post bag, aeros, etc.), it's very comfortable (300km-in-a-day comfortable) and I've invested quite a bit to get it there. I put together detailed numbers and if I were to get a touring bike (would be a Disc Trucker), it would add 3K $ w. taxes to my pre-trip costs since I don't have racks & panniers and don't want to go the second hand route. No way I'm selling the Di2 setup as that's part of my normal setup and what's going back on the bike after my trip. But, somewhere in the planning stages, I figured if I went with a trailer instead of the panniers, I could use my R3 instead of getting a third bike.

As aramis mentioned, not getting the bike stolen is going to be my biggest worry. Will get a Lock Alarm cable to help, and leave the Di2 parts behind.

Rigging up the Wahoo for touring with a trailer is an interesting thought, I'll look into the costs.

As to changing the RD on the R3, given the fact that my medium cage 105 RD should work with as high as a 32T cog, I'm inclined to use the 105 RD. The way I see it, I need to resolve the question of the front setup if I want to use the Cervélo.

Thanks to all who made suggestions. I have more research to do. Will report on my findings,

Last edited by LucF; 03-13-13 at 12:43 PM.