View Single Post
Old 03-13-13, 05:37 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Are they less lumpy looking now than they used to be on a handlebar??
I had been holding off buying the Brooks tape as in most pics I see of them, the just don't look smooth enough on a handlebar....
As this pic from Harris Cyclery shows....
http://harriscyclery.net/product/bro...-tape-1877.htm
Why can't Brooks put in a better taper on the leather tape so it will lay down smoother like Cinelli cork tape does on a handlebar.
Is it an inherent limitation of leather as bar tape??

Chombi
I think getting a good looking leather wrapped bar depends on the application. It takes a fair bit of strength to get it on right. I wet the tape as i wrap with a light mist from one of those spritz bottles, then literally pull as hard as i can while wrapping and keeping the tension on. The water gives it a bit of elasticity and when the tape dries it tends to shrink so you get an even tighter fit. Then proofhide or treat with 303 protectant. I'm usually sweating by the time i'm done. I agree with cehoward that the elkhide looks and feels great, that sewing also provides a good lesson in patience.