View Single Post
Old 03-15-13, 09:34 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by WheelsNT
Thanks for your input Chris, living where you do you certainly stress your brakes more than we will. I searched through the archives looking for comparisons between the BB7 mtn w/travel agents and the BB7 road. Other than your comment above, I only saw one other mention, which was in TandemGeek's post in this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post13942787

Both of you seem to strongly pefer the BB7 road over the mtn w/ travel agent solution. I'd love to hear from anyone else with an opinion on that.
Due to the longer run you have on the quad, regardless of mechanical disc model you will likely need an inline travel agent or brake booster to provide a nice firm lever action when using brifters.

One example, Ritterview recently posted this setup:

Also, depending on cable routing, that can result in higher friction and slack that a booster will compensate for. As an example, our previous Santana routed the rear disc wire under the bottom tube and then up from under the rear BB to the top of the chainstay. That was a difficult routing to get dialed in.

Using a quality casing and wire can help a lot. My pick is Jagwire racer casing, with their Slick Stainless wire (uncoated) which can be found cheap on Amazon. We use this and have no need for any boosters with the top tube cable routing on our current and previous tandems (2 seaters).

Last edited by twocicle; 03-15-13 at 09:44 AM.