Old 03-17-13, 11:05 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I use my iPhone as well, but I use Cyclemeter instead of Strava. Cyclemeter has a main screen (where you start, pause and stop a ride) they call a Stopwatch screen where you can flip through 5 screens of ride data, all of which has your route map and location displayed. Strava's main screen only shows speed, elapsed time and distance on it's main screen and to see the rest, you have to wait until you end the ride. But if you're a competitor, Strava has the advantage over Cyclemeter because it rates you against other riders. Although you can do the same thing with Cyclemeter, Strava does a much better job. Also, Cyclemeter is $5.00 and Strava has a limited version that is free. I can't remember what their paid version sells for. And Strava has a version for iOS and Droid, whereas Cyclemeter is limited to the iPhone. Like everything, it boils down to personal preference.

OP, if you are using a heart rate monitor strap with your Forerunner, you can still use that and not have to purchase another HRM if you go with a phone app. You also won't have to purchase another HRM strap if you go with any of the Garmin units.
+1 for Strave (the only with which I have any experience)... It doesn't seem to do a lot of good monitoring things while you ride. I tend to start it, put it in my pocket and, when the ride is over, take it out, stop it, and save the ride. Most of it's benefit is on the Strave web site after the ride where it shows you where you rode (with a nice map), how far, how fast and how high you went (in elevation not endorphins)... It also accumulates all of your rides so you (or your physician) can see how well (or poorly) you've been doing and prepares some nice graphs so you can easily visualize it...

For monitoring while I'm riding I use a cycle computer....

After the ride (or at the end of a week), I also post the time & distance in a spread sheet for 2 reasons:
1) You cannot download your data from Strava (except to a GPS) -- so if you leave Strava you lose all of your history.
2) I can better track maintenance on my bikes: when I changed chains or cassettes and so on...

But, like John says, it's all a matter of personal preference what pieces are most important to you...