View Single Post
Old 03-18-13, 04:41 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
You'll have to decide if this frame has asking-price value to you, but sounds like a realistic number.

Since frame geometry has a large effect on effective frame sizing, and on steering characteristics, I would first really need to know if this frame's angles are around 72 degrees (head and seattube angles) or are around 76 degrees. This is because Peugeot used both geometries with Nervex-lugged PX10 frames, and that is a huge difference.

I don't believe this frame is from 1975, and in any case this frame's toptube braze-ons have all been added on prior to repainting.

Pre-1973 will almost always have the traditional 72-degree geometry for this frame size. The fork rake, by appearance, leads me to believe this is what we have here.
Peugeot returned to using Nervex Pro lugs (after a very brief run of using plainer lugs) some time during 1973 or so, but this time they used the radical new frame geometry with angles more commonly found on a track bike. These frames were especially well-suited to aggressive climbing efforts, where a more foreward-situated rider might hop onto and off of the saddle at regular intervals, as the effort in doing so is greatly reduced with a properly-sized frame with such steep angles (particularly the seat tube angle).

So, first know your frame-sizing requirements, and if this frame has the geometry I think it has, I suggest selecting a seemingly large-fitting frame size. But I don't know what your intentions are in terms of the ownership experience and so can't make any kind of a go/no-go recommendation.

BTW, I ride and enjoy Peugeot's steel bikes from this era, but am blessed with the needed supply of parts and the knowledge to exploit a project possibility such as this one.

Last edited by dddd; 03-18-13 at 04:47 PM.