View Single Post
Old 03-20-13, 07:52 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 885 Posts
Rode out the Minuteman to Lexington Center at the end of the day, 10 miles. At the turn-around point, a delicate peaches-and-plums sunset was in progress that illuminated my rear-view mirror for much of the return ride. The temperature dropped through the 30s over the course of the ride; it wasn't freezing when I was out, but was definitely headed in that direction. The critters singing in the darkness to their inamorata were still at it tonight; yesterday's snow seemed to have slowed them up not at all.

The Minuteman, at least between Arlington Center and Lexington Center, was well-plowed, mostly bare, dry pavement with some wet spots that will have turned to black ice by morning. I encountered two stubborn ice patches under bridges, a small one at Lowell Street, Arlington, and a larger one at Maple Street, Lexington. There was a large, deep puddle at Season's Four that will be more fun in the morning, when it has a skin of ice.

Near Pierce Field, an Nstar bucket truck was parked square in the Trail, lights flashing, with an lineman working on a transformer up in the tree branches.

After threading around the truck, I encountered two young men about 30 yards further on, standing on the trail-edge having a whiz in the snow. That was the last display of utilitarian expedience of the evening, and I rode home without further incident.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-20-13 at 08:03 PM.