View Single Post
Old 03-22-13, 02:06 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
With out knowing the type of bike, your height etc, this is impossible to answer, Stems have been getting shorter over the years, 20 years ago 130-150mm would be standard, 10 years ago 110-100mm, 2-3 years ago 70-90mm, now 35-70mm. At the same time, the geometry of the rest of the bike has evolved to accommodate this, so putting a 35mm stem on a 20 year old MTB won't bring the handling up to 2013 standards, you need a 2013 frame designed for a super short stem for this.

From what the issues you are describing with you bike fit, you really need to go to a good bike shop, ideally the one where you got the bike from, as they should have been able to advise if the bike was the correct size, and any adjustments which need to be made. Add to that you are reversing the seatpost indicates that you have some major setup issues with the bike, and it probably is the wrong size for you.
+1

I was amazed at the difference...

After I got my cyclocross the LBS offered to do a free mini-fit on the trainer. I was skeptical -- but the guy has ALWAYS been right and has always treated me well. So I went. He put the bike on his trainer and we experimented with different stems and spacer configurations as well as several different handlebars...

The difference in ride quality, comfort and power has been amazing. The bike feels incredibly natural to me now.

I commented to him about my hesitation and concern that the fit would force me into some performance configuration -- but he said: "We can do it either way: If you want performance we can fit you for that. If you want comfort, we can do that as well". And, I have to say, it was a joint effort: it wasn't him telling me how it should be -- it was him suggesting things and changes and then asking "How's that?"...

If you are able to do something like that, I would think it would be a good idea for you...

And, BTW, congratulations on riding everyday up there in Erie. That's tough conditions in the winter...