View Single Post
Old 03-28-13, 09:54 AM
Dheorl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight weenie folding bike?

I'm at university at the moment and due to my landlord not providing the promised garage have been unable to ride for ages. I've eventually had the thought of getting a folding bike (not sure why it took so long). I do however want a folding bike not for mixed commuting purposes, but to use as I would use my normal race bike back home, just able to store it in the bottom of my wardrobe.

I have done a search and haven't been able to find a thread on this. I guess I'll start with the quick few questions in the thread at the top;

* your weight (bikes have weight limits)
60ish kg
* how tall you are (almost all folding bikes are size medium, ie 22" (55cm) equiv. top tube length)
About 5'11" (gotta love being average height sometimes)
* your budget
Up to about £2000
* your riding experience
Have been doing every type of riding for ages
* what you intend to use the bike for (eg touring, commuting, casual park riding, shopping, MTB-ing etc)
Quick trips to friends houses/up the hill to uni and then fun rides/club rides/races.

I've been mainly considering the airnimal chameleon, although also possibly the bike friday pocket rocket although not quite so keen on the look of that one. The obvious choice out of their prebuilt models would be the Performance sport, which has 105 gearing and comes in at 10kg and about £1900. One of my LBS will also sell me the frame, rims, forks, stem extender and headset compressor and build it for about £1125.

My main question is, is there a better frame I can use as a starting point for a (relatively) stiff light weight folding bike. I don't need to worry too much about folding time or size, within reason of course. A minute or two will be fine.

From the point of view of the build itself, I'm a bit out of date with which brands are good these days. And tips of cheapish light weight parts that I mght be able to build up to beat the weight of the stock build?