Old 03-28-13, 08:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Good for you! Your training sounds very good. It's about weekly mileage and back-to-backs on the weekends and just slowly ramping up the mileage. Try increasing your weekly with short weekday rides. Don't let another winter go by without riding - get a trainer or a set of rollers and ride some all winter. Do you use a heart rate monitor? Back-to-back days is also a lot about nutrition - what you eat and when. Are you familiar with that sort of thing?

Really try not to be off the bike totally. Buy a trainer or rollers. It's one of the best investments in your health you'll ever make. Try to squeeze it in. There's something like a 3-1 ratio in training time - every week you miss, it takes 3 weeks to get back to where you were. Try really hard not to let more than 3 days go by without riding. If you're traveling by air and will be gone for some time, that won't work, so try to find a hotel gym - they usually have them or can point you to one. Run. When my wife and I visit family, we scandalize them by getting up at 6 and running and driving across town to a gym once or twice. It's only the most important thing in your life - your health I mean.

A training plan isn't nearly as important as just getting in the mileage.