View Single Post
Old 03-31-13, 08:36 AM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
yes, frames with greater clearances allow riders to use larger tires.

Sometimes, a rider chooses a larger tire to smooth the pave and the cobbles, and has smartly picked a bike to suit, that allows the choice of a larger tire.
This is a pretty common adaption among randonneuring crowd. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd think this is likely the single largest change in equipment (other than wearing a reflective sash at night and legbands on both legs ) among rando enthusiasts.
Being restricted to running 700x23 tires because of a person's choice of bike frame is in no way a tangible advantage, to be perfectly honest.
Yes, no argument there but he was talking specifically about bikes used by professional racers.
Changing to a wider tire is the easiest and cheapest way but not the only way. Frames, components (to a small degree) and wheels especially can make a big difference.
You're right, that it isn't an advantage that they do that but it isn't necessarily a disadvantage either. It just depends on what you are looking for.
Wouldn't bother me if all the manufacturers adjusted their frames so that at least 25's would fit. It wouldn't be that difficult. I think Commodus is right that the trend for all bikes is going that way.

Last edited by Homeyba; 03-31-13 at 08:40 AM.