Old 04-03-13, 10:08 AM
pursuance

Bikes: Bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
A front disc wheel is weaker than a non-disc front because of wheel dish. Disc rims can be made into a lot stronger shapes that could be stronger than a non-disc rim but that's only part of the wheel build's total strength which has most to do with the number and strength of each spoke.

I've ridden rim brakes in the winter and they do in fact work fine after one or two rotations with the brakes engaged to clear the rim. It sounds like you've never actually ridden in the snow if you think windchill causes ice to form on the rims. For my winter commuting I think drum brakes are better but that's way off-topic.

Given the OP's trollish question and budget I think a tiagra level road bike and a disc trucker is the answer to the question. I don't race but I doubt the OP is already at the fitness level were a tiagra-level bike would be "holding him back" and who doesn't think two sweet bikes is better than one?
*sigh*
A Finnish rider made the comment on clearing ice from rotors vs rims and I don't doubt it.

SRAM offers hi-lo flange hubs that address front wheel dish and DT/Velocity does offer OC rims that offer some solution to ft. dish.
My Clyde body has not caused any spoke issues at 2+k miles of rough riding on the Trek DS 32 spoke wheels and yes there is a bit of dish front & rear.(cheap Alex rims laced with DT spokes)

AND, you think this new poster is a troll? Pot calling kettle black me thinks.