Old 04-04-13, 08:16 AM
max-a-mill
aspiring dirtbag commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I don't think that the skill of being able to read a cue sheet or a map will ever become unnecessary, and I think there is a danger in depending entirely on computers of various sorts to guide your way.
yeah believe me i work with computers. i know they will die or malfunction at the most crucial times sometimes...

i think my comment made me sound like i ONLY rely on technology which could really F you when your computer dies and it is dark, hailing puppies from the sky, your freezing and you don't have a clue where you are because your just blindly following your computer. i don't mean that. i'll always have cue sheets in my pocket but the beauty of the technology when it works is you to never have to get distracted from the ride by looking at them.

utilizing technology i think your gonna be faster once you take the time to learn to use it properly and do some field testing to see how it works. to me it is amazing to have to never worry about the course while just having your computer point the way and yell at you if you wander off course. if this can work on our tight little northeastern usa backroads i gotta imagine it is even easier out west and up north where street density is much lower.

my wish now is that garmin would make one of the little routeable gps doohickeys with replaceable AA or AAA batteries. running out of juice will surely bring your computer to a dead stop and i just don't like the idea of not being able to buy some fresh batteries while out on the road. carrying a rechargeable powersource to power all my crap seems less than ideal as well. maybe it is just time for a generator hub... where can i get a bar mounted espresso maker???