Old 04-05-13, 01:18 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jhaddad8
I rescued this bike from obscurity yesterday...
That's a 1973 Schwinn Super Sport in Sunset Orange with a 24" frame. It looks to be all original including the Brooks B15 saddle. You can see that bike on the original '73 catalog page here:

Remove the handlebar tape and retape
The original tape on that bike is color-matching vinyl "flexon" plastic made by Hunt-Wilde for Schwinn, normally sold in 5-yard rolls (one roll does a complete handlebar). That type of tape hasn't been made for years now, but is still available on eBay. Unfortunately Sunset Orange happens to be one of the hardest to find colors. While it is correct for a restoration, on a rider many people prefer modern tape, so that is up to you.

I guess in theory I can rebuild the wheels, but, I was thinking to just buy new wheels, tires and tubes
I'd true up the originals and use them as-is, new wheels will be relatively expensive. The hubs on that bike are fairly nice aluminum high-flange units made by Normandy for Schwinn, and the rims are 27" Weinmann alloy that polish up incredibly well (Mothers is amazing on those). Worst case if the rims are trashed I'd purchase new Sun CR-18 rims and lace them up to the existing hubs using new stainless steel spokes. Those rims come polished and look period correct yet are much stronger:

For the seat, is there a way to recondition the leather seat? Or should I just replace it?
That is a Brooks B15 Champion Standard saddle, in good condition they sell for $50 to $100 on eBay. Yours doesn't look that bad, I'd try reconditioning it with Proofide.

Other than that I'd clean out and re-grease the front and rear hubs, the crank bottom bracket, and the headset. Any original grease in there will have turned to something resembling peanut butter or even plastic, it should all be cleaned out and replaced. The crank bearings should be fine (they are virtually indestructable) but you may need new bearing balls for the hubs and headset.

You could try cleaning the chain, but it might be easier to replace it with a new one. If you go new, use an SRAM or KMC "8-speed" chain. Those designated for 9-speeds or more will be too narrow. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Metacortex; 04-05-13 at 02:16 PM.