Old 04-07-13, 04:12 PM
LuMax

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac 2019 "Sagan" Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Can I safely remove cantilever braze-ons?

I just built a new 26" front wheel (Velocity Blunt + Schmidt's Original Nabendynamo 28 CL 32h Disc Hub) for my new cargo bike (a Yuba Boda Boda) and will be utilizing a Hayes disc setup for braking. The bike came with V-brakes, but I wanted better wet weather stopping power for when I'm carrying a heavy load.

I thought that the cantilever studs were threaded on, but closer inspection has revealed that they are braze-ons. They are brazed onto threaded bosses. Damn. I had planned to remove them when I installed the disc conversion.

Now I have the studs sticking out which could easily grab onto something, but also look pretty stupid. Since I plan to own this bike for a long time and roll up plenty of miles on it I would really prefer to remove them.

I have soldered a lot of copper pipe and have a nice MAPP gas torch; do you think I can carefully remove the studs without harming the fork? I am thinking about threading a long bolt into them, wrapping the fork in a big, wet rag by the boss, and then carefully heating the studs just enough so they will come loose. FYI: The fork is chrome-molly.

If I mess up the paint that is no big deal, I am having a pint of matching paint mixed already to paint some accessories.

If I ever want to go back to cantilever brakes, I can simply buy two threaded studs.

Opinions? Thanks.

Last edited by LuMax; 04-08-13 at 12:55 PM.