Old 09-06-05, 11:20 AM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope that there is some benefit to the higher fuel prices. If it gets more people on bicycles, that would be fabulous.

I don't think that we will see kids get healthier as a result, however. What is likely to happen first is that people will change their diets to cheaper, fattier, starchier foods to make up for the increased fuel expenditures. Remember, for most Americans, there simply is no other choice - they HAVE to drive automobiles or be stranded like lame ducks. Something is going to have to give and that something is likely to be diet.

I have been a bicycle commuter for many years and rarely drive a car. We do have a teen-age son who absolutely refuses to bicycle. It is some combination of not being cool and being lazy. I still can't see how getting a ride from your mother is more cool than getting their by your own steam on a bicycle - ah, today's youth.

Anyway, I made a a family announcement last night that EVERYBODY was going to have to do more bicycling for transport because fuel prices were getting so high. It is a good enough excuse for me.

Let's hope that these fuel price increases have some benefits for Americans.