Old 04-08-13, 12:41 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared.
That's the main reason? Really? It's not all lollipops and rainbows up there either.

In the US, my sister received ACL surgery in less that 6 weeks through workers comp insurance. In Ontario my mother-in-law had to wait for over a year and a half for knee replacement surgery.

My brother-in-law received shoulder surgery in the US within 3 weeks of an injury. Years previous he was told the wait time for an MRI for his shoulder was over six months (in Ontario).

My wife cannot currently find a doctor (in Toronto, Canada's largest city) because no one is taking new patients, and it took 3 visits to a clinic and one to an emergency room for a diagnosis for a condition that would have been diagnosed within one visit in the US.

I recently received my permanent residence in Canada, and I don't receive any provincial health care coverage for 90 days, even though I will be working well before then. In the US my wife was covered even when she had no status.

The list could go on. There are problems with each system. Everyone is always so quick to state how much better the Canadian health care system is, but it's not always only about cost.
lies and exaggerations. I had an MRI the night it was requested, and a second one maybe a week or two after it was requested. No idea where that MRI rumour came from.. its similar to the "death panel" rumour that Americans talk about when they try to fight the "Obamacare". Similar, in that its not true.

The family doctor problem is partly true, yes, moreso in the big cities though. Rural area clinics will probably take you as a permanent patient if you live there. You can still get into walk in clinics for scheduled checkups and such though, that's not a problem. In the US, would you be able to go to the doctor for preventative care and as many times a year as you want - for free? Why would your wife's condition be diagnosed in 1 visit there?