Old 09-06-05, 02:22 PM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 5-6 years ago I was in NYC for my birthday, walking around. I saw a bunch of messengers. At this point I was just getting into road cycling. While looking at some knock-off stuff being sold out of a garbage bag, this guy rides up and skids right up to the "Seller" and starts talking to him. I ended up talking to him about his bike and he explained the whole fixed-gear concept and stuff to me. Guy's name was Matt, he was riding some kind of un-marked lugged steel track frame. Had bullhorn bars, twisted spokes, etc. I thought it was really cool.

Then I kinda forgot about it for a while. I got into road cycling. I got back out of road cycling. A little over a year ago I picked it up again at college and started racing. My campus bike was giving me crap and I remembered Matt. I began to talk about maybe building it into a FG with my buddy who now is my roommate. He ended up building one first (a sweet vintage Motobecane), and I rode it a few times and knew for sure it was what i wanted. I made my campus bike into a fixed gear. The bottom bracket shell ended up cracking on that frame. I got my current frame and built it into something I really like and enjoy. I'm not planning to build up another one with a bike I recently aquired.