View Single Post
Old 04-09-13, 11:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by alhedges
There is evidence that seat belts save lives. There evidence the motorcycle helmets save lives. There is no evidence that bike helmets save lives, and pretty good evidence that they don't: (Australia, where mandatory helmet laws made no difference despite significant compliance; same in BC; and continental Europe, where not wearing a helmet is the norm and fewer people die on bikes than in the US). All of these points have been repeatedly mentioned in this thread (and the preceding thread), and there is no meaningful response to actual evidence. Just so many anecdotes of helmets "saving lives" that you would think that 10,000 additional bikers would die every year if not for helmets.

But by all means, wear a helmet if it makes you feel better. Groupthink often does.
I'm not going to get into a pointless debate about whether or not helmets work for cyclists, we've seen both sides here and quite frankly...neither side won! So I will continue to wear my helmet.

But, it shouldn't matter if a safety device that has been proven to save lives should be required by law to use. Motorcycle helmets as you have said has been proven to save lives yet only 3 stated in the USA require helmets to be used by law enforcement. Personal safety while driving, or riding a MC, or bicycle should be a personal choice. I chose to wear my seat belt not because the law makes me do it, if the law wasn't there I would still wear my seat belt, it's a safety choice I make for myself. I'm a decent driver, hadn't had a car accident since I was 24 till last year when a drunk ran a stop sign going across a highway. Schit happens, but I chose to wear a seat belt and he chose not to, he died I didn't (though I T-boned him so I doubt wearing a seat belt would have saved him). When I ride my bike I wear a helmet because I chose to.