Old 12-29-02, 11:24 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Well, I suppose that a bike buyer can no longer be talked into a threadless headset as little else exists anymore. The cyclo-cross upper brake levers will be jumped on as new bike spec, because believe me, there are a lot of frustrated recent bike buyers on new bikes without enough vertical adjustment in the stem to get them in a comfortable position. I have 30+ years experience in selling, fitting, and fixing bikes and know way too much to think that the universal adaptation of threadless systems is a good thing. Useful for some applications (mountain bikes that need frequent hs adjustments, travel bikes because a quill bar/stem is a really messy thing to pack, and a few others, they are nevertheless a very bad idea for production hybrid and road bikes where a cm of stem height can make the difference between comfort and misery in the rider. Too much that is currently fashionable in production bike component spec is anti-fit and anti-rider comfort. Yes, there are spec people at the Big Bike Companies who are crooks in that they are excessively focused on the moment of the sale and thus care too little about the rider's long term happiness with the product. No, I don't live in a cave and, due to long experience have KNOWLEDGE, not OPINIONS.