View Single Post
Old 04-13-13, 06:53 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Nice write up Frantik, thanks for taking the time. I'm planning to buy these tires in the 1.5" size for my Kogswell (built for 26" wheels)

I've got a fair amount of experience with 26" slicks. I really think, for me at least, 26" is the best all around tire size. My current favorite 26" tire is the WTB Slicks in 26x1.5 I've used them on my Rockhopper drop bar conversion for everything from commuting to long distance touring and they just rule all roads thrown at them...dirt, gravel, brick, paved. The thing I really like about them is the ease at which I can keep a good speed. No flats after at least 1000 miles and they show very little wear

I've used the Kenda K838s on my Renegade which I used as a porteur bike for a while, and I have to say they have been my least favorite tire I've used. The ride just feels sluggish, they feel heavy and it's tough to stay at speed, even slow they feel like they require more work to keep going. The stiff side walls don't offer a very plush ride either...they do look cool though I'll give them that, but I persoanlly won't use them again.

For a fat tire, I much prefer the Ritchey Moby Bite 26x2.35 tires on my Ross. They roll over anything, I've even used them off -road and they are supple enough to absorb even the worst cobbles and bricks. Very little rolling resistance on paved roads. They don't offer much in flat protection though.

My new favorite fat tire though is the 26x2.35 Schwalbe Fat Franks on my Lotus. Now THESE are great fat tires! Supple, low rolling resistance, and awesome flat protection. Reflective side walls to boot.

I'm excited to give the Compass tires a shot, as far as a skinny road slick in 26" they really seem to offer everything I'm looking for on my Kogswell, which will basically be a rando/long distance touring build. I'm interested in how they will compare to the WTB's