Jean Beetham Smith 
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
absent a long time, looking for advice for wrist/thumb pain

From the fall of 2000 to 2010 I was a pretty regular participant on Bike Forums. Then I began having difficulty with my thumb and wrist. A significant portion of this is related to my work as a vet tech. Sustained gripping while hyperextending my wrist has taken its toll over the past 30 years. My grip strength is now impaired enough that at the end of the day I frequently drop things. Riding has been impossible for the past year. Basically I've had to choose between making a living and riding. I've already tried a steroid injection, and that gave me a lot of relief and has let me continue to work, but has not stopped the weakness and pain I get when I ride. The hand surgeon tells me I can't expect any significant relief without surgery and I can only have 1 more steroid injection. Here are my questions. 1) Has anyone here successfully worked around similar problems, if so what worked for you? 2) My intuition is that neither USS or ASS on a recumbent would be any different, anyone have an opinion on that?