Bikes: 89 Centurion Carbon, 91 Peugeot Izoard, 90s Giant Cadex 980c

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Giant Cadex 980c Build - Ultra Budget and Lightweight

Originally Posted by Giant's 1990 Documents
GIANT CADEX980C

Giant's stable boasts an economical Shimano 105 SC- equipped carbon fiber road bike and the market's only carbon fiber hybrid (even though it's not called one) . The $799 980C road bike has 8 carbon fiber tubes (including the monostay rear triangle) bonded to polished aluminum lugs, a one-piece head tube/lug assembly, and stainless steel dropouts . The fork is polished aluminum . While not revolutionary, the 980C breaks ground by of-fering high-performance composite technology to the masses .
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/....the.masses/3/

Looks like it was first introduced in 1987, but my model would possibly be from 91, from the serial number on the BB(GC101241 and 9J30). When it was first realeased, it had red writing with a white 3D shadow. From 1990, the shadow changed to blue like on mine. And in 92, the writing changed to silver with a red shadow + additional colourful shapes. So its from the same year as my Peugeot, and 2 years older than the Centurion. Anyone know their stuff on Giant serial numbers, or have this frame and can confirm the age?

Giant Cadex 980c Frame - $100 - 1723g
Giant Composite Fork - $0 - ????g
Shimano 600 Headset - $0 - 108g
Rolls Titanio Saddle - $0 - 309g
Sakae seatpost - $0 - ????g
Sakae Stem - $10 - ????g
Carbon Drops - $20 - 290g
Bar Tape - $2 - 45g
105 Groupset(Mix of 105SC and 5500) - $65 - ????g
KMC Titanium Chain - $35 - ????g
Fulcrum 5 Wheelset - $50 - 1755g
Rubinos - $30 - 500g
Cables + Housing - $15 -????g

Total Cost so far: $327
Weight as of now: ????g

Anyway, got the frame this morning

Bottom bracket with weird looking corrosion.

This fork, Im pretty sure would be from the CFR1. The original fork would look exactly like the one on the Centurion. So got to work on the forks first of all. It had the label composite on it, and I was hoping that it would be a carbon fork. After sanding down the paint, it turns out that it is, but theres an issue. Theres water on the forks so I could take clear pics otherwise itll be kinda foggy.

Right side fork is all good 3k weave.

But left side is unidirectional.

Well, thats all I got done today. But there is a question. What should I do about the lugs? Polish(however, I dont ewally wanna go through hours of polishing again), brushed(something unique, but in which direction?), or black painted(easiest method, but kinda boring)?

Last edited by QuangVuong; 04-15-13 at 06:00 AM.