Old 04-16-13, 12:46 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks all. This is my favorite thread and continues to evolve and get more interesting!

Now we are in to Weight Weenie C&V Steel MTB Territory, which is a fun, futile, quirky, and interesting place to be.

Let's hypothesize. The Procaliber 26.4 is without pedals, so let's add other .6 lb and start at 27.0.

Possible weight reduction:

1) RD -- A Shimano 600 Tricolor, at 310, will save 110 grams. BTW, the 600 is actually 10 grams lighter than the 6500 Ultegra. It is my favorite C&V RD -- light, does everything, very durable and aesthetically pleasing. Down to 26.75.

2) Crank is problematic considering that this bike has a press fit square taper BB. So, I will probably keep the XT. Even so, I can remove the small chainring and screws, and save, maybe, 50 grams. 26.6.

3) The big savings would be tires and tubes. Presently, it has 1.85 WTB Slicks (520 each), puncture resistant tubes (300 over regular tubes each) and liners. I could reduce tube weight by 1.3 lbs and, by going to a 1.25 tire, 1 lb for two.

I'd say that may get us down to 24 lb. I'm going to have to try this. Lighter pedals may go under 24.

Also, I actively encourage the inclusion of C&V Ti, Alu, and Carbon frames in our little anarchistic game, but suggest that we have fuzzy categories.

For example, the Litespeed above with the fork to die for is another category. I have three Lynskey Litespeed road bikes and a Litespeed made MTB with a suspension fork. I would love to find one of the totally rigid ones, but there were only produced during a narrow time period.

Below is my mid 90's Dutch commission and Russian made (out of recycled MIGs and subs), my Ti MTB. With the rack, it weighs 25.5 lbs. Now, let's reverse engineer. Remove the 1.5 lb rack and we are at 24.0. Remove puncture resistant tubes and we are at 22.7. Lighter RD and pedals and we have 22.1. Another project to work on!

The following link is to my discussion of reducing the weight of a Cannondale ST 600.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=st600

Last edited by RFC; 04-16-13 at 12:52 AM.