View Single Post
Old 04-18-13, 02:48 PM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
I think that my bike fit caused me to have frozen shoulders. My problem started out like yours. My bars were very low and I was having some numbness in my hands and my arms and shoulders would get tired after about 20 miles of riding. (3 years of frozen shoulders to the point that you can't take your wallet out of your back pocket without pain is no fun.)

Try getting as much pressure off your hands and arms.

When you sleep try to make sure that you keep your arms down by your side. This will really help with the shoulders. I have even considered tying my hands with a cloth going between my legs so that I can't raise my hands without untying the cloth.

Now for the horror story. One of my friends (who doesn't drink) got what is called drunkards elbow. He slept wrong on his arm and when he awoke he could not move his hand. The doctors rerouted all kinds of things in his arm and he had to learn how to move his fingers again. Since things were rerouted different nerves activated different fingers. He said that in the beginning that he might want to close his middle finger and his ring finger would extend. After several months he can move his hand and fingers without even thinking about what he is doing. So please try to sleep in half way reasonable positions.
Regarding bike fit, the owner of our LBS is certified to do fits and he mentioned one way to tell if your posture is off is if your knuckles turn really white when you're gripping the bars. In that case, you have too much weight on your arms. Just keep in mind that just because you may have your bars adjusted and your knuckles aren't white doesn't mean you have a proper fitting, that's just part of it. Maybe sliding the saddle forward a little bit will help, too. Very slight adjustments make a huge difference.