Old 09-07-05, 01:46 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
are you aware that overtaking collisions (those from behind) tend to be the worst kind
Worse than fatal?

Of course it's bad when it happens. So are shark attacks. The point I'm trying to make is the relative unlikelihood of a cyclist being fatally injured from behind during the day as compared to all the other ways a cyclist is likely to be killed.

It's not even clear that riding outside of the rubble, further to the left, makes you more likely to be hit from behind. In fact, since you're more likely to be seen when you're further left, you're probably less likely to be hit, as counter-intuitive as that may seem.

Statistics, shmatistics. All I can tell you is that the number of close calls and unpleasant interactions with motorists dropped dramatically for me when I started riding further left and out of the rubble. I'm used to it now, but at first it felt funny and awkward, but as I experienced more and more positive interactions with motorists, I gradually started feeling safer doing it. Gradually, I think it took about a week.... Anyway, now I feel much safer in traffic than I ever did before. And, as a bonus, I get about 5,000 miles between flats.