Old 04-21-13, 03:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
I've been running Monkeylights on my commuter since the product came out, like at least three years. I tried 1 per wheel initially, but found the flashing up front to be annoying, and could feel a slight imbalance at high speed, so I moved both units to the rear wheel, which is where they've remained.

I will point out the new model Monkelights, including the Minis, have hub mounted battery packs that eliminate the need to worry about balance. Even my original model Monkeys, however, are unnoticeable at high speeds, and I regularly see mid 20mhp.

Mine stay on the bike all year, through snow, rain, and across Michigan's notoriously crappy roads, and they're as good today as when new.

Monkeylights are awesome; super bright and great patterns, and lots of user control. They are the best spoke lights available by a wide margin.

I also own HokeySpokes, which I purchased for the wife's and kid's bikes after being impressed with the ultra high visibility and safety of the Monkeylights, but frankly, they suck in comparison. The brightness is low and the patterns lame. Two of four Hokeyspokes purchased developed quirks soon after purchase, too. None remain in use because they were just not worth running, IMO.

I didn't check to be sure, but I doubt HokeySpokes communicate between units. They did not in the past, anyway, and I've not heard of any product development.

So I'm a huge Monkeylight fan, and recommend them without reservations for riders looking for fun and enhanced safety.