View Single Post
Old 04-22-13, 03:32 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts

The first is a rough draft of a 1949 Claud Butler clubman. Chater Lea crank, 1938 Phillip pedals, GB Sport brakes, SA 4-speed hub w/Dyno, Wauterlasser bars, Bayliss Wiley BB and front hub (not shown). I expect it will be on 26" rims when done. The second is vintage sorta- its a Titus road frame from the beginning years of Titus. The frame is set up for a 1" steering tube if that tells you anything. I had a Reynolds 953 fork made up for it as I had no trust of carbon. This one features an Alfine 11-speed hub with some ancient wingnuts. Overall its about 20 pounds. I plan to finish the steering tube and neck once I get the new brake/shift levers installed.

I like radial spoke patterns a lot so they are featured on both front wheels and the Dyno side of the clubman rear wheel. I'm also a sucker for Brooks saddles.

I like the ride of the Clubman- adequate proof that bikes have not progressed all that much since 1955 (the year of the SA hub). The Titus however is my main ride. It was built to prove out the Alfine hub (I have a MTB with a Rolhoff already); I wanted to know if the Alfine justifies a custom frame. It does. I hate derailers and this one proved that the Alfine is competitive with the best derailer systems and justifies a high-end build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
clubman.jpg (106.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg
Alfine1.jpg (105.3 KB, 139 views)