View Single Post
Old 04-24-13, 02:06 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShartRate
Well in only 2 weeks and maybe 60 miles tops I popped another spoke! I suspect it has something to do with the weight I've put over the rear wheel with my new rack and panniers (as compared to how I went through last fall without any failures).

Bit the bullet this time and had my LBS order up a 36 spoke wheel for me. At first I didn't feel too great spending so much for a wheel on a relatively inexpensive bike, but I'd rather lose the hassle of the failures and gain some peace of mind for my money

BTW, anybody have any suggestions for what to do with the cheapo wheel with the busted spoke? Doesn't seem to make sense to repair it unless in the future I decide to sell the bike and want to keep my 36h wheel.
Keep hold of it if you've got space to store it. Then if you want to play with building/truing wheels you've got a wheel to play with, and if you sell the bike you put the old wheel on it and just tell the buyer it's got a broken spoke that they'll need to fix. Or get it fixed and put it back on when you sell the bike.