Old 04-25-13, 01:24 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
The thing is, no one ever means to knock someone down, so when someone gets knocked down it's always by someone who didn't intend for that to happen. And yet it happens. Most of the time everyone is cool about it regardless. That's one of the great things about CX.

I think you're right about the extra jostling in the elite races (though even pros get ticked off when somebody makes what they perceive as an idiot move). I'd like to think that no one below Cat 2 would feel the need to squeeze past somebody (though as you say it might be OK if it's somebody they know well). It still happens though, and our local mailing list gets busy every year with people one both sides of the coin whining about it. I once had a guy in a mid-week C race call out "Middle!" as he approached me. What the heck am I supposed to do with that? I laughed and got a good story out of it. What I didn't do was move for him.

The hole shot is something else completely, and I'd say when two or more people are sprinting for the same tight spot they know what they're getting into and almost anything goes.

Mixed fields are an interesting problem. The singlespeed field in these parts is particularly hairy because it's gotten popular with people at both extremes of the speed and skill spectrum, and this with fields of over 100 racers. SSCXWC has helped set appropriate seriousness expectations in the past. It's a shame to see it moving across the country. Who knows what the East Coast will do with it!

I'll be looking for you in Issue 20.