View Single Post
Old 04-27-13, 11:00 AM
StephenDedalus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chvid
"Its just a bike"...actually just a frame really, with a bunch of parts on it, like all bikes. Except it seems some of the parts need adjustment or servicing. Really there is nothing special about an electric bike, except some of the parts are more complicated than a normal bike and require specialty knowlege - like replacing cells inside the battery, or changing brushes or Hall connectors inside hub motors etc., or putting on new connectors - stuff a normal local bike shop wouldn't be able to do necessarily. Anything else - and it sounds like the parts you were were talking about are "just bike parts" and could be fixed by any competent bike mechanic, or even yourself with a little bit of online investigation. I'd take it to a good LBS first to get the regular bike parts serviced, and build a relationship with them, as you will need to eventually anyway - unless it is directly related to the electric components. I've built nine ebikes, and I regularly need my LBS for things that are beyond my depth, but those things are limited to issues experienced as well by normal bikes as well, like getting new spokes cut, or putting in a new fork or whatever. I never bother them with the e-bits.

Well that's just it. That was my intent all along. And as someone wh has been biking since age 5 and who used to put thousands of miles on my bikes every year, I have long established relationships with those mechanics and shops. The problem is that I had to take the bike to the place where I bought it because the click box on the rear hub wasn't working. And the fenders had been installed wrong and were rubbing on the back wheel. Their mechanic basically chastised me for taking the bike to the shop I did. That left me in a weird spot of needing their service for the eBike-specific stuff assuming something in the vicinity of a warranty issue popped up. But not wanting to cause them to blame possible warranty issues on another mechanic working on my bike. It's all so strange and disheartening.