Old 04-29-13, 08:12 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Are you car free? What's your family situation?

I'm not car free, although I am car light: I ride more miles in a typical week than I drive, I ride my bicycle to work, I typically use the car twice a week, and my wife and I together own one vehicle and we only buy gas once a month (except when we go on vacation to visit family in other states).

I don't think being car free is likely to be an option for me any time soon. My wife is not interested in bicycling in the winter, and there certainly are some occasions where owning a car is very convenient. And since our car is paid for, it isn't a huge expense, although one I do somewhat begrudge having to pay.

But I know that some people 'here' have families of different sizes, and don't own cars. So whether you have a family or not, please take this poll IF AND ONLY IF YOU ARE CAR FREE.

For the purposes of this poll, being car free means that no-one in your household owns, leases, has exclusive use of (e.g., a company car or police car), or regularly drives a car. Regularly driving, I hereby arbitrarily declare, means driving more than twice in a typical month; if you rent a car for a vacation and drive it every day for two weeks, but only drive a car once or twice a month for the rest of the year, you still qualify. You still qualify if you ride in taxicabs now and then, get occasional rides with friends, rent a car while on vacation, etc.

Why am I asking this question? Curiosity. I don't plan to do anything scientific with the data, but I am interested in how families (such as mine) live without a car in towns that have, in this country, been too often designed or re-designed for the convenience of the personal automobile.

N.B., The poll only allows 10 options.

P.S., I'm sorry about the duplication--I'm not sure how it happened.

Last edited by storckm; 04-29-13 at 08:41 AM.