Old 04-29-13, 05:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Meper View Post
It is a 26.4 diameter and a "similar" steel head set was mounted before the painting (the new one is alu). It may be the first layer paint that causes the troubles so it is difficult to mount the cup especially if I am not able to fix the fork. when I now use a hammer on the "crown race fitting tool" much of the energy is absorbed by the carpet I use to protect the drop outs. It may be a good idea to go to a bike repair shop in any case. I could try to remove the paint using sandpaper and see if this does the trick.
Never place a fork on the floor or bench top while hammering on the race! If you need more support then your hands can do (and you shouldn't) make sure to support the fork by an axle placed in the drops. I have seen the drops close up from the force of race seating. Andy.