Old 04-29-13, 09:20 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I know you're joking, but CX is fun on the East Coast as well, believe me. And we've heard of single speeding.

Anyway, regarding the OP - safest bet is to pass on the straights. In general, whatever your discipline, passing riders in turns is much more challenging, because even if they take a slow line it's very difficult to have enough of a speed advantage to pass decisively. If you're lapping someone, chances are you have the power to come past on the straight. Lapped riders should try to make way, of course, but it isn't always possible. But the race level should also set expectations, somewhat. In a CX 1/2 race, get up close and personal, to a lesser extent, same in CX 3. In CX 4/5, some more discretion is advised. Seems simple enough. Basically, don't go thinking you're a mega hotshot in your low level amateur cross race and everything should be fine.
Sounds good.

I suppose with peers who you're comfy with a tactical pass when you're closely matched might mean you get half a bike ahead, or even just a wheel ahead, in a corner and then swing a bit wide making the one you're passing have to relent and lose some momentum and accept the pass, especially if more turns are coming up.

Sometimes that kind of pass might actually be easier than on a straight where they might be able to keep holding you off or coming back around more easily. In a series of corners once you get a lead it might be easier to keep it so I could picture some pressure coming on with who can get ahead just barely enough to change lines on the follower and thus control them...to an extent. It might depend on how willing or not they are to back off.

Well, I don't know all the fine points. I suppose it's a learn-as-you-go thing and also from watching.