View Single Post
Old 04-30-13, 01:44 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Forum resources that I use include here and Adventure Cycling (check the routes section especially). For specific information, I read a lot of journals at crazyguyonabike.com. Use the search function to select your desired locations. I live in SC Nebraska, near Kearney, and have journaled a couple of tours. The first one, my destination was Breckenridge CO. ( https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=10146&v=7z ). This one might be helpful for a Nebraska trip. For me the journals are my best resource, especially on those routes that are less taken. Not as much info out there compared to the Trans Am, Northern tier, etc., but you will usually find some. I also use google maps a lot. The biking option is good for finding the bike trails, as they show up in green. But I do not use the bike function as a route planner alone. Not good. I use the street view component of google maps a lot to see if the road route I'm considering has a good shoulder and to get an idea of the level of traffic. The DOT websites of each state usually have a state map that shows bike friendly (and unfriendly) routes, based upon traffic levels, type of road etc. For Nebraska, the BRAN (Bike ride across Nebraska) website ( http://bran-inc.org/wp/ ) has past route information in its forum section. I think it goes a number of years back, so you can browse a particular year, look at the route and ask some questions on the forum. "Granny" is a frequent contributor on the BRAN forum and has ridden around 30 BRANs, so she knows the good routes across the state. And she loves to talk about the good routes across Nebraska. Seek her out specifically and you won't be disappointed. All these fore-mentioned forums have sections on what to pack to be prepared for the road. The journals too usually have a packing list in the intro/beginning of the journal. Just be prepared to do a lot of reading and research. To me that is part of the fun. But if your planning has some holes, don't worry. As you will see in my Breck journal, the mistakes you make just contribute to the adventure!