Old 04-30-13, 09:24 AM
ChrisEeeSee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
My ears were burning. Was somebody talking about me?

While it is a dark, non-drive side photo it does indeed appear to be a 1988 Miele Doral, which was an upper entry level sports bicycle, 3rd from the bottom of the line. The decals, frame features, colour and chrome fork are correct for 1988. This would have been the first year for the Doral and when Miele was at the peak of their popularity. As stated in the quoted post, it should be a Tange Infinity frameset with Shimano Exage Sport components but the picture is too dark to be certain. Wheels should be 700C. Obvious upgrades include the Look pedals, handlebar stem and bar tape. The computer, tail light and saddle bag are a nice little bonus. On the downside, you can't really assess the condition from the dark photo, though that does indeed appear to be a zip tie on the center cable tunnel.

Assuming there are no issues outside of the cable tunnel, $175 is fair and would even be considered very good in a large Canadian market like Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver. (Yes, I know, I shouldn't assume the OP is Canadian but probably 80% of Miele were sold in Canada.) A 3 hour drive makes it a risky proposition. I'd be asking for a good overall drive side picture, taken in sunlight, along with detail pictures of the major components and that center cable tunnel. Find out if it has been recently tuned-up or overhauled and whether it has new cables, tires, pads, chain and freewheel. Those are the consumables that often need replacing. Get it in writing that the post and stem aren't seized before you decide on making the trip. Where is it located? Perhaps you could find a fellow forum member who is local and willing to make a preliminary inspection for you.
I really like the frame, so as long as it's quality, I think I'm going for it. Fixing it up will be a fun project during the summer. He also told me over the phone that it was in excellent condition, and this was after he told me about another bike that wasn't in great condition, so I think he's a pretty stand-up guy. I'm definitely going to ask for more pictures today, mostly of all the decals and stickers(Which should tell me if it's Tange Infinity, right?). The potentially broken cable guide is a small bummer, but I can get over that. I really appreciate your, and everyone else's, help identifying this. I'll post more pictures today once I get them, so feel free to stop buy and give some more input.