Old 04-30-13, 08:35 PM
Nakedbabytoes

Bikes: 1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was carfree before I had kids and got married. Hubby has ZERO interest in riding a bike or being "car light" in any way, shape, or form(we literally live 2 miles from his work ON A BIKE TRAIL and he won't even consider commuting. But that doesn't mean that I can't live carfree or "car light" when it is my choice to do so. I have a home daycare and transporting children to/from school is part of my job(so I don't count that as a choice either) but for groceries...bike. For errands...bike. Fun.....bike. I basically choose the bike whenever I can.
We have 2 sons, ages 12 & 5. If they wanna come with me, fine. If not, we work around when I can go alone.
I can't force someone to be car free or light. But in the same token, neither can I be forced to take the van. So we have sortof came to an understanding in our house. I have a fat bike for winter, cargo bike for groceries, and road bike for fast & light trips(like depositing of income checks, etc). Would it be easier if we all agreed...yes. But we don't and respect it. Period.
If I didn't have daycare, hubby knows I wouldn't own a vehicle. I didn't before and was fine. I even had an infant and toddler on my own for a while with no vehicle. We took a cab or a city bus if it was cold. I used a trailer for him and small groceries. We also lived within 6 blocks of a grocery store.