Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by EAA View Post
Not sure if the outer burbs are as bike friendly though.
i have extremely limited experience, but i rode gephardt road for 2 miles all the way across brookfield and there was a marked bicycle lane the whole way. i consider that pretty good for an outer burb. i saw a handful of other cyclists along the route as well, so i didn't feel like a fish out of water out there.

Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
I've seen some general trends in cities west of the Mississippi and those east of it. To the west, the cities are new and most of them I've been in are set up in a grid pattern that is easy to navigate much like Denver. Seattle and Portland have fewer cardinal point roads but, generally speaking, both are pretty easy to get around with lots of alternative routes to keep you off the main roads.

Cities in the east are devilishly difficult to navigate. Because the cities were laid out before the adoption of the grid pattern here in the west, the roads don't have a logical pattern.
i don't think the mississippi river is really the demarcation line because here in the great lakes region, chicago, toronto, detroit, indianapolis, and milwaukee are all highly gridded cities.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 05-01-13 at 07:56 AM.