Old 05-01-13, 07:53 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I try to take my bike with me when we travel. Some times other plans and event prevent me from getting it out of the car. I have recently ridden in Prescott AZ. The cycle infrastructure there is not great, but there is a big cycling community there, and the city seems bike friendly. There are tentative plans to visit some of wife's family in Portland. That will involve air travel, but I found (through the Pac NW regional forum) a guy up there who rents bikes.

I live north of San Diego, and the older parts of the city is a series of "table top" high density neighborhoods separated by sometimes steep canyons and ravines. Getting from on end of town to the other always involves hill climbing.

I work in south Orange County. In the older parts, like Santa Ana and Garden Grove, the main boulevards are totally auto-centric, with high density motor traffic, and too many stretches with no shoulder, and almost no bike lanes. My commute is south of that, through Irvine, sometimes I ride south as far as San Clemente. That area is much more bike friendly, and as far as Irvine goes Is pretty flat.

I went to college in Long Beach, and rode there a lot. It's ok but route planing is important since it is a lot like the older parts of OC.

Las Vegas west of the 15 is pretty bikeable.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 05-01-13 at 08:14 AM.