Thread: Cutting carbon
View Single Post
Old 05-01-13, 06:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
The issue with cutting carbon is inhaled dust. This is a real concern when using power tools, but far less so when cutting stuff with a hacksaw. Saw dust is coarser and heavier that the fine dust that grinding creates. Once the dust settles to the floor it likely stays there, and isn't raised high enough to breathe (except if you're a dog) so of little concern. Normal good housekeeping manages it fine.

Also consider that standard industrial protocols are designed for workplaces where stuff is done all day, every day or at least fairly routinely. For a bike shop that cuts a fork now and then the total exposure is far less, so the risk to health is likewise lower.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-01-13 at 07:03 PM.