Old 05-05-13, 12:27 PM
Crankykentucky

Bikes: Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunnicula
I've used my Quick 3 SL for some rides up to 40 miles, some of them on hills in Maine. I've done 30-35 mile rides on dirt and gravel MUPs. The Quick is a great hybrid - agile, nimble, and smooth on the road. That being said, unless it's an unpaved route I'd really probably prefer to use my road bike for a 25 mile or more paved ride.

The Quick IS a comfortable bike, not too upright, and it sounds like you were fitted well with a computerized program. Fit is the key for comfort. It would serve you well as a commuting bike. I'm wondering why you'd prefer the CX, though. The SL would be much lighter and smoother on pavement, but can still handle the occasional foray onto hardpack dirt and gravel paths. The Bad Boy will also be heavier, and although it may look "cool", it probably wouldn't be your best choice for commuting very far. Of course that depends on the condition of the rider, but the lighter bike will certainly make an easier go up any hills. The Quick SL should be the lightest of the 3 Cannondales. I wouldn't go lower than the 3 series if getting one of these bikes, you'll want the thinner tires and better components.

Cannondale makes quality frames. So does Specialized. I really like both brands a lot. Whichever bike frame you are most comfortable on would be your best choice. I felt precarious for some reason on the Specialized Sirrus, but the Cannondale Quick was just right. My road bike is a Specialized Roubaix and it feels made for me, but the Cannondale Synapse didn't quite suit me. The frame's geometry is what it is, and so is your body, some frames will just fit you better.

I mentioned this in another thread, that my BF (yes, I'm a gal) just got a new Quick SL 1 to use on unpaved trails because he hates using his heavier mountain bike after riding a lightweight carbon road bike for the last year. He wanted something lighter for some of the rail trails we ride, and he liked the ride of my Quick 3. Well now he's admitting that he's enjoying the ride of his Quick more than his cf road bike!
Thanks for the reply and the info, Bunnicula. All of the feedback on this thread is interesting. Did you check out any of the Cannondales with front shocks before settling on your Quick SL?

I agree with your comments about the Specialized Sirrus. It could be the dealer that I visited, but I didn't feel like the bike fit me. Rather, I felt like I was perched on a limb at times. I notice you have a Roubaix. How many bikes did you have to try before you decided on that road bike?

I used to be focused on Treks, but I am now looking at Giants, Cannondales and Specialized with an open mind. This forum has helped me a lot. So, thanks again for the comments!