Old 05-08-13, 07:22 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[Quote: Originally Posted by ksisler I would agree with others; time would be better spent riding it rather that screwing around with it, but if you do decide to add some drillium to the BB, be sure to put in one of those plastic BB accordian tubes in to protect your balls from the elements. Also recommend hitting the insides of the frame with FrameSaver as you will effectively opened it all up to the elements.
/K. Unquote]

[Quote - MassiveD said; I wouldn't worry too much about the corrosion. It's nature's way of drilling lightening holes, there should be some lube in there, and the holes will probably help drain water. Unquote]

Massive one; I understand that the spindle and bearings have (or should have) some looobe on them and that is good. But by drilling holes in the BB, that area is now open to splashed water, humidity, sand, dirt and whatever including a garden snake I once found living in a seriously lightened Columbus frame. And with the BB open, then so are the DT, ST, HT and TT as all of them are effectively linked together by the holes drilled into them to facility brazing or welding.

So I will stick with my initial recommmendation to give it a good dose of FrameSaver which pretty much dictates he tear it down to the bare frame to do so. Admittedly the frame in question is not of the highest quality, but I have found that when we care for every frame/fork as if it were a nice C&V item, then our standards of practice are always adequate...

Thoughts?

/K