Old 05-09-13, 10:12 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
There's a whole other story I could tell about how this next part happened, but to keep it short, I located and called him last summer, and we have stayed in touch ever since - including meeting at a reunion that I convinced him to attend last fall. At 80, he's still active and sharp, and he still has that PX10 - with 87,000 miles on it and replaced components. But he hasn't ridden since '95.

Last week we were chatting via email, and out of the blue he asked me if I would take the bike - "You are the one I would trust with that old bike. And I know you are capable of restoring it to its old function." 40 years later, the iconic bike that symbolized my entry to the joy of riding and mechanics is being passed to me, I'm more than honored. More to come once I visit him to pick it up.
I had to do a triple-take on that mileage - whoah! I have never, ever heard anything like that quoted for miles ridden on a bike. Maybe I've just not been around enough, but I don't think so. A pro, maybe, but geez...

A heartwarming story; it sounds like that relationship is a gift that keeps on giving. Kudos to you for keeping in touch and keeping the flame (and thanks for the compliment on the 'Nago, too)

I'll be looking forward to more info/pics on this historic PX-10.

DD