Old 05-11-13, 10:28 PM
joejeweler
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Several years ago, I bought a travel-sized shampoo bottle, filled it with Mobil 1 0W-20. I have refilled the bottle 2x, and still have most of the quart. If I don't use it for something else, it should last most of the rest of my life. Not bad for under $6.

(Spending lots of $$$ on bike maintenance? I buy a new chain & cassette every 2 years, about $40....)
I haven't tested it but i suspect the thinner viscosity of the 0W-20 motor oil would tend to throw off the chain a bit quicker than the Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil i've been using for awhile now and VERY happy with it's ability to cling to the internal roller pivots once it has gotten there.

......but then my substantial wipe down after application may be a big part of that. In any case, heavier gear lube can't hurt, and i believe the wear fighting makeup for contact points of the gear oil is a benefit also.

Originally Posted by Burton
Maybe I shouldn't mention this but oil does degrade when exposed to air - which of course is what happens with a bottle of oil only half full left on the shelf for years. Probably still better than nothing but - whatever.
Not sure of this but i'd think the synthetic lubes would be more stable than the Dino oils, so IF that's true then i suppose shelf life may not be an issue.

Last edited by joejeweler; 05-11-13 at 10:37 PM.