Old 05-12-13, 03:50 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
SR Apex crank - what taper?

I recently bought a set of SR Apex crank arms, sans chainrings. The arms have 86BCD, 170mm length. The left arm is stamped "81" (I assume that means 1981). Both arms have the old JIS logo (like the first one on this Wikipedia page).

I've been hunting around for a JIS taper bottom bracket (maybe just a spindle to fit my Campy cups). Then I read on Velobase: To confuse issues SR Decided to make these cranks compatible to Shimano Dura Ace or Campy, with differing Crank Tapers to match and possibly differing BCD measurements. To further confuse things, the model type was not stamped on the crank arms - so compatibility will be a matter of trial and error. To quote that great sage, Penfold, "Oh crumbs..."

Any idea what I should be looking for? If it's stamped "JIS" does that imply that the crank taper will be JIS, or is there a possibility that it might still be ISO?

Just this morning I scored a NOS 32T Stronglight chainring. I've yet to find something in the 46T-50T range that wasn't priced like one of the crown jewels. If someone has something suitable (used is okay, but good condition), I'm willing to talk $$ or trade.