View Single Post
Old 05-16-13, 03:47 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by retroroadie View Post
Andy is correct - sorry for any confusion. Although I have rebuilt older STI units before, I'm only wanting to transfer the lever & internals to a different lever body this time. So just a simple fix involving an Allen bolt, a pivot pin, and a spring, plus hopefully a replacement body. The lead fell through, however, and nothing from my LBS so I haven't had an opportunity to check. I don't want to toss an otherwise decent shifter - aargh!
How do you rebuild STI's? I was given got two sets of decent-looking 7 speed RSX brifters. They seemed to click through the positions OK on the bench with no cables in. When they were mounted on the bike and cabled up, the right hand levers (rear mech) would only pull one click from top gear (smallest to second smallest sprocket), then stop. Now back on the bench I can't get the levers to the position to take the cables out. Is the fault in the lever ratchets, with the (new) cables, or something else? How do you dismantle these things or is it a case of have to buy new ones? The left levers (front mech) seem to work fine with the same new cables. Any ideas?