View Single Post
Old 05-17-13, 05:51 AM
zizou

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got my first couple of wins wooo!

Started off with a 10 lap scratch. Starting position was important here then the roll out lap then the gun, i was near the front all the time so well placed when the sprint opened up i managed to get a 2nd on the line.

Next up a 30 lap scratch, was active for most of the race sticking near the front doing a few pulls then with about 4 laps to go i was on the front and an attack came from above with a couple of riders and i managed to drag it back very gradually then come round for the win. Actually i think that is how it unfolded, I cant really remember how i got to the line - i just remember making a huge effort on the back straight after that its a blur

Then a 40 lap points, with points up every 5 laps. Didnt contest the first points but contested the second (coming second) and noticed we had quite a gap after that sprint so shouted attack to the other rider and off we went, sucked up the next couple of sprints and almost got a lap on the rest of the field but my legs started to go and i lost the wheel - he was strong enough to make it on the back of the group but i wasn't so it turned into a sufferfest and i was losing the gap bit by bit and i was having to dig deep to stay out. Track was getting a bit chaotic at this point as there were some dropped riders from the group who i managed to overtake and when someone passed me i thought it was someone i already had lap on but instead it was someone who'd jumped off the group to close it down. In any case i didnt have the legs to stay with him anyway. Ended up with a 3rd rather than a 2nd which was a little disappointing due to the amount of effort i'd put in!

Next a 20 lap points. Was supposed to be a 50 lap but time was running out so it was 20 instead, i was pleased with this after the hard work in the points race. It was a bit of a strange race as one rider took a huge pull on the front, probably about 14 laps, not really sure why though! I was low and in danger of getting boxed in but i was just wanting as big a tow as possible at this point as my legs were feeling heavy so didnt panic and managed to move into a better position with 4 laps to go and maintain it and by the bell lap was sitting 3rd - big effort on the back straight to get on the shoulder of the guy in the lead who was in the sprinters lane. Ideal position as we come slingshotting out the final turn and managed to pull ahead for the line.

Couple of things helped me make the break through and get my first wins: More experience, my positioning is getting better as the weeks progress and I also think im getting better at knowing what wheels to follow. I also got lucky with my positioning at the important times! It was also my first time on a 50x15 as opposed to a 49x15, in the warm up i thought i was maybe a little over geared as i like the 49x15 but come the racing it felt good. A little slower to accelerate but i could sustain my sprint a bit longer.