View Single Post
Old 05-17-13, 08:05 PM
hamster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am staying in a hotel because early long travel (coming from the same area as Hamster) are not conducive to a good ride for me.
This is the fourth time for me this year. I get everything packed in the car in the evening, bike, clothes, etc., prepare coffee, I can be up at 4 and pulling out of the driveway at 4:05. It might even be helping because I get to wake up and eat a proper breakfast before the start. Last three times were much closer though - the longest was Palm Springs (100 miles). It's 180 to 190 miles from here to Lebec, depending on the route.

Originally Posted by jimxyz
New start time 7 am - however, it looks like they moved it because of some parade that will shut down a potion of the route for a period of time. The question is, is here a risk we get stuck behind the parade if we are slow...? It also looks like they moved the start time, and also moved the cur off at the end, if I read it right, so you don't have an extra hour to finish (so don't linger at the rest stops hoping PBJs will materialize - lol). We drove up today to stay over and the weather in Bakersfield is pretty mild (I figure this area is about the same temperature as on the ride), but the fire near the ride is huge and looks to be burning out of control. The smoke is heavy but was blowing away from the ride.
Yes, cutoff was moved back too. Grr.

Getting stuck behind the parade should not be a problem, the parade is 18 miles from the start, we're starting at 7, Planet Ultra says that the parade is at 10, their own web site says that it's at 11.