Thread: Can I Kilo?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-13, 08:46 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ochizon
how do you guys approach the kilo? I have heard different ideas, one is go balls to the wall and try not to fall off the bike before the finishline, giving time back on the last lap, while some suggest a short break after the start (roughly 250meters in) when you are upto speed, and you "float" the pedals to relax the legs for about 100m, then all out for the rest of the race. Im sure there are other approaches.
I think it depends on your gearing and your physiology. I think lighter gearing tends towards the former strategy (balls to the wall); heavier gearing tends towards the latter. My fastest kilo time was when I took a short break to float on the pedals after the start in a heavy gear.

You forgot about the huge gear-negative split strategy... I've heard that pursuit riders tend towards this while sprinters tend toward the all-out-and-die strategy.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter