ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo_Seth
I don't think it had anything to do with rules of the road. I recently moved from the Seattle area to the Boston area. My experience is that if you want to avoid having profanities spewed at you for no reason, you should move somewhere away from Boston.

But to answer your question, I don't think that bicycle endorsements are practical. There's a precident that children are allowed to ride bicycles (otherwise, how would they get around? And how would bicycling start if not with kids?). And I, for one, would be disappointed telling my four-year-old that he couldn't ride his bike on our cul-du-sac without taking a written test

But communication of the rules does need to happen, and it should be communicated soon after kids start learning to ride. Perhaps some sort of communication in early schooling that could be re-enforced every once in a while during school would work. Then, later, re-enforced during driver's ed. Are there any videos aimed at young kids who are starting to ride on roads with other traffic?
There would have to be something figured out for kids. But here is also something that has to change, that bicycle's are toys. Just today an 8 year old boy was hit in White Center riding his bike down 1st Ave S thats a major street no kid that age should be riding on that street.

I don't know about any videos but there are groups out there that teach children to ride. Cascade Bike club offers things like that here.