Old 05-22-13, 04:21 PM
ClydesMoose

Bikes: 2013 CAAD 8 6 Black/Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Yes, if there is a bit of flab around the torso, that is going to start going up and down in time with the pedal strokes. Harmonics have been mentioned before in this context, but some out there just don't get that part of it.

CV is a significant part of this. Go to the Training and Nutrition forum where the real experts post.

--------------

Riding a fixed gear certainly encourages a rider to concentrate on technique at high RPMs.

I have found that if I really work at keeping my pelvis level, high cadence has a less dramatic effect.

It does require some strength in the core muscles (abs in particular) to stablise the pelvis.

High cadence can also find out if your fit is not up to scratch -- if, for example, your seat is too high, your hips/pelvis will rock badly. You should also be relaxed with your grip on the handlebars -- again, it's a core muscle thing.

It is a technique worth refining.
So yeah, I have the flab, a weakish core, and tend to deathgrip. However, I'm not rocking left/right like I'm stretching for the bottom of the pedal stroke. I'm thinking its the core flab resonance combined with poor technique.

I'm working on both of those